The retreat began with the question God asked Elijah: “Why are you here?” (1 Kings 19:1-18). Elijah had become exhausted, discouraged, and afraid. Yet God did not condemn him. Instead, He allowed him to rest and be nourished before inviting him to listen. This spoke deeply to me. I realised that I had not come to the retreat simply to find answers, but to place myself honestly before God. I needed to acknowledge my mistakes, let go of what I could not change, and trust that God was still walking with me.
As I continued to pray with the Book of Revelation, particularly chapters 1-3, I was reminded of who Jesus is: the Alpha and the Omega, the One who is, who was, and who is to come. Then St John's message to the seven churches struck me: “You have less love than you used to.” It prompted me to ask whether, after many years of priesthood, my first love for Jesus remains as alive as it was in the beginning.
Once again, I was reminded that before I am a priest, I am first a disciple loved by Christ. He is my Love and my Key, opening doors to forgiveness, hope, reconciliation, and new beginnings. He also stands at the door of my heart, inviting me to open it more fully to Him and to embrace His love and grace.
The Child Jesus grew up “in wisdom and stature” in Nazareth (Luke 2:39-52), leading me to reflect on “The School of Nazareth” and to see my life as a journey through different Nazareths. My childhood, working years, seminary formation, and the various parishes and ministries where I have served have all been places where God has formed me. Every challenge has become an opportunity for growth, gradually shaping me into more than I once was.
“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me...” (Luke 4:16-20) invited me to place myself once again in His hands for the renewal of my priesthood and mission. I realised that priesthood is not my possession. The mission belongs to Christ, the people are His, and my life is entirely His.
As I conclude this retreat, I return with a renewed desire to listen, grow, forgive, serve, and love. I am deeply grateful for Bishop Bernard's accompaniment and for the gift of silence and prayer. May the Holy Spirit continue to renew my vocation and mission, so that I may lovingly bring the Good News, healing, freedom, and hope to God's people.



No comments:
Post a Comment