Powered By Blogger

Sunday 19 March 2017

FINDING CONSOLATION IN THE LORD IN OUR TIME OF GRIEF

The 40 days of Lent is one of the most significant periods for Catholics. It is a time of reflecting on the passion of Christ and keeping the Lenten observances – Prayer, Fasting (penance) and Almsgiving. We have completed the 1st week of Lent and we have about another 6 more weeks before we celebrate Easter.

We begin Lent with the best of intentions to have a fruitful Lent by keeping ourselves closer to God and our neighbours. We often set our minds to prepare for a good Lent on what we are going to do or what we are going to give up. We want to have a right attitude about prayer by firmly committing ourselves for at least 20-30 minutes each day. Do you have the right attitude about Lent? How are you preparing for this Lent season? 

Having observed Ash Wednesday more than a week ago, I thought of spending more time in prayer and penance. After my dad’s passing, I thought of spending time with my family members for at least 7 days at home but I ended up traveling to and fro my house in Klang to our parish at Sentul for funeral Masses. Over a stretch of 8 days (since last week Tuesday till this week Wednesday) I have celebrated 7 funeral Masses including my dad’s funeral. Practically, every day I encountered a death and an increase of death in our parish. Throughout my ministry as a priest I have celebrated a maximum of three funeral Masses in a row, but these past days I celebrated seven deaths in a row.

A few days ago, one of our parishioners had a massive heart attack in the morning. I was driving from Klang to Sentul for a funeral Mass that morning and when I heard that this person was in a critical condition in the hospital, instead of driving straight for the funeral Mass at our Church, I diverted my direction to the hospital. Unfortunately, I could not administer the last rites for her as she passed away just a few minutes before my arrival. I could only watch helplessly as her family cried over their sudden and unexpected loss.

Looking at all these deaths, I feel so disturbed, upset, frustrated, irritable and impatient these past days. I realise that the Lord is not only adding more work for me to do but also adding more grieving for me. I am depressed over all these recent deaths and also sympathise with the families who have lost their loved ones.

Due to my personal loss and having to face the loss of so many parishioners in a short period of time, it has been difficult for me to talk about death. How do we grow stronger in our faith and how do we overcome our grief? I did share my difficulty with some of my friends on how could I assist the deceased members to cope with grief for their loss. Death and dying are realities of life. Those who are terminally ill know roughly when their death will occur. They can gradually adjust and make peace with death as much as possible but not everyone has this chance. Many deaths occur suddenly and often strike without warning.


Let’s stop all our doubts in our faith and questions on death and dying because the real answer is with God who says, “I am the resurrection and the life, anyone who believes in Me has eternal life,” (John 11: 25).


No comments: