Powered By Blogger

Friday 20 July 2012

My Spiritual Director is now a Bishop-Elect!

Bishop-Elect Sebastian Francis
On 8th July (Sunday) which also happened to be my birthday, I came back after my community Mass and checked my email and received a pleasant surprise. Fr Moses Lui had sent an email informing me that the Vicar General of the Melaka-Johor diocese, Rev Fr Sebastian Francis has been announced as a new bishop elect of Penang Diocese (Northern state of Peninsular Malaysia).
The official announcement was made by the Vatican on Saturday, 7th July, 2012 at 6 pm (Malaysian Time). After reading the email I immediately sent my congratulations and greetings to the new bishop-elect via email. While I was praying the Office of Readings (breviary) that morning I remembered to offer a prayer for his new Episcopal appointment.
When the new bishop-elect was a professor of Dogma in the Major Seminary of Penang, he was my Spiritual Director. He directed me since my early years of formation in the seminary. After he had been appointed as Vicar General of Johor-Melaka Diocese (Southern state of Peninsular Malaysia), the late Fr Leonard John became my spiritual director.

As Vicar General of the Melaka-Johor Diocese
Even after Fr Sebastian had became the Vicar General, I still sought spiritual advice from him. When he was in seminary he had the most spiritual sons than any other professors in the seminary. He is a man who walks with a “heart and head.” During my formation years, he helped me to overcome many uncertainties in my life. He also really built up my vocation to the priesthood with more confidence and steadiness to the present. Just before entering into the priesthood, I did my 5 day- retreat with him. During the retreat he prepared me well to accept my priesthood more lovingly and to embrace it with warmly always. Even after becoming a priest I never failed to turn to him for advice whenever I needed a boost in my priestly life. Fr Sebastian always treated me as a friend and not just as a fellow priest.
Even thought I won’t be able to attend his Episcopal Ordination, I assured him that I shall be one with him in Spirit praying for his health and his future ministry for the people in Malaysia.
The Episcopal ordination will be held on 20th August, 2012 at the Church of St Anne, Bukit Mertajam, Penang at 5.00 pm (Malaysian Time).
Sixty one year-old Bishop-elect Sebastian’s new diocese is approximately 46,855 km per sq, with a total population of 6,500,000 people. The total Catholic population in the diocese is estimated to be around 66,000. Currently there are around 46 priests and 97 religious.

3 comments:

அறிவுகொழுந்து said...

He was our parish priest in St.Anne's church, Alor Gajah in early 1980s

Anonymous said...

naga,
thanks for the well written article about the bishop elect.awaiting episcopal ordination!!!!

Geraldine said...

Am proud to have him as my new Bishop.

And both Fr Michael Cheah and Fr Bernard Paul (my parish priest) have been appointed as Vicar Generals.