Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 12 August 2015

WORLD MARRIAGE DAY

WORLD MARRIAGE DAY HONOURS HUSBAND AND WIFE
AS THE FOUNDATION OF THE FAMILY

“Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled…”
 (Heb 13: 4).

Each year World Marriage Day is celebrated on the second Sunday of February. It salutes the beauty of the faithfulness of married couples, their sacrifices and their joys.  Are you and your spouse soul mates? Where are you in your marriage? Do you  still embrace that zeal and interest to improve your own marriage?

Couples, you would have heard a number of sermons about marriage. How many of those sermons on marriage really challenge married people?  In our Church, we hear a lot about marriage. Praise for those who have been married a long time. But we empathise with those with troubled marriages. The Church prays with you and encourages you to keep on going!

Being a Catholic priest for 13 years and single, I don’t feel lonely but indeed am blessed because I am surrounded by many families and married couples. In terms of ministry, I feel  I always have something of myself to offer the Church; especially in addressing the pastoral challenges of the family in the context of evangelization, in raising children and in  carrying out the responsibility of the home.

This weekend, the Catholic Church invites spouses to have a renewed understanding of marriage and to strengthen their marriages. The Church teaches couples to re-learn that    marriage is a sacrament of self-sacrifice and that it is only through this self-sacrifice that they should find true self-fulfillment.  As the M.E. saying goes: “Love Is A Decision”!
Couples, I invite you to exchange your renewal of promises once again as follows:-
“I (name) take you (name) to be my wife/husband. I    promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life”.

Lord Jesus, graciously grant us the courage and wisdom to discern light from darkness and preserve sacramental marriage according to Your divine will. Amen.

No comments: