Powered By Blogger

Sunday 17 January 2021

RESPONDING TO GOD’S INVITATION

Some years ago, I did my hearing tested because my collegemates commented that I was a lot of the times, tone deaf. I thought I was losing my hearing. In that test, I had to sit in a closed up sound proof room, and I was requested to put on an available set of headphones. A sound/beep with different frequencies were sent through the headphones. What I needed to do was to press a button when I don’t hear any sound through the headphones. That will eventually plot out a range of sound my ears could hear. After the test, the audiologist said that my hearing was within the normal range expected, and I should not be concern. I only need to practice on my singing.

The first reading (1 Samuel 3: 3-10, 19), speaks about HEARING to the voice of God in our hearts and listening to the will of God. Samuel was with Eli, studying about God. One night, he heard a voice, three times and he wasn’t sure if it was Eli’s voice or God’s voice. He was so curious about the voice, and left quickly to go and consult Eli. Eli, being an instrument of God, helped Samuel to recognise the voice and he responded confidently to the voice - “Speak Lord, for Your servant is listening!”

 

Many of us find it so difficult to discern and perceive the voice of God in our hearts and what He is asking us to do. In today’s Gospel (Jn 1:35-42), Jesus asked the two disciples - “What are you looking for?” Andrew and John came and saw Jesus and there they found their vocation as His disciples. In that respect, Jesus is also asking every one of us, “what are you looking for” in our lives, today. What is our response to that call? What is that burning desire of God that is firing up in the depths of our hearts? Now, if we are searching for happiness and fulfilment in our lives, AND if that adventure includes Jesus in it; we will be taken on a very promising, fulfilling and exciting earthly life journey, whilst fulfilling God’s vocation and mission.

 

Jesus invites us, as how he invited Andrew and John “to come and see!” Every day, when we pray and read the Word of God, we are actually entering the Lord’s sanctuary and there He speaks and reach out into our souls. There, we will see and experience the true meaning of our lives, the true purpose(s) on our temporal existence on this earth. The Word of God speaks to us, over and over again. Each time we hear it, we will either understand them differently, or it confirms what we have already understood all the while, or we were just plain hearing and not listening.

 

Therefore, are we able to filter through today’s modern and digitized, fast paced world, to identify God’s voice in our hearts? Have we come into a state of silence in the mind, calmness and peacefulness in the heart, to enter a space only you (I) and Jesus are present, and NO one else. In that state of discernment, not only our hearing senses are used, but all the senses that God has graciously bestowed us. So, let us not look for or search for material or earthly pleasure in lives. As we commit ourselves in the Mission of Christ, let us willingly say this beautiful prayer every moment of our lives - “Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will!”




No comments: