Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 29 June 2011

We're Indians ... Strictly English, please!

Yesterday, as usual I went jogging around 4.30 pm in my college compound, which is almost 100 acres. Winding down to a brisk walk, I met a Philosophy professor Rev Fr Dr S. Stephen Jayard (pic below) who is lecturing here at Jnana-Deepa Vidyapeeth College.



It was such a coincidence meeting him as my first encounter with him was in Malaysia when he came down just before Christmas to spend time with Frs Mitchel, Frederick and Albert. Since coming here, I wanted to meet him but did not get the opportunity to do so. Now, after more than 3 weeks in college, I was fortunate to bump into him while he was doing his jogging as well.

We had a chat and he invited me to his room. The professor had just written a book entitled “THALAIPIDDA MUDIYATHA NUUL” which means ‘no title can be given to the book’ and he was generous in giving me a complimentary copy. The book was priced at Rs65.00.

Fr Jayard's book


Ever since I came to India I have hardly spoken Tamil. Neither have I read any books or articles in Tamil. Generally, the students here don’t speak Tamil or any of the local dialects. Although the main languages in Pune state are Hindi and Marathi, we are strictly told to communicate only in English with one another.

Just when I was afraid that I would lose touch with my Tamil, I was gifted with this book. Now I can still brush up on the language by reading this book for the next few months. When I was doing my ministry at Church of the Visitation, Seremban, I was exposed to reading and preaching in Tamil.

I would say that it was only during these past 4 years that I have really picked up the Tamil language and gained confidence in speaking and writing.
Maybe when I go out to town, I’ll pick up a few more books and magazines in Tamil to keep me company. So remember, just because you're in India, don't assume that everyone speaks Tamil!

1 comment:

mitchell said...

great writing, Fr....good to hear you are fast adjusting to Uni life. God Bless you.