Powered By Blogger

Monday 24 November 2014

The Solemnity of Christ the King

The first reading from Ezekiel talks about God as the shepherd of Israel. “As a shepherd I am going to look after my flock myself… I will seek the lost, and I will bring back the strayed, and I will bind up the injured, and I will strengthen the weak, but the fat and the strong I will destroy. I will feed them with justice (Ez 34:16).

That’s why God raised up prophets, like Ezekiel, to warn the kings. When they failed to listen, God decided to get rid of the bad leadership, royalty and nobility by sending them to exile. 

Who is the next? Finally, God has promised to rule His people Himself. We see that this promise is fulfilled in the person of Jesus Christ whose kingship we celebrate today. Jesus who is our Good Shepherd lays down His life for His people.” He looks after us even today with tender love and care. There are 6 specific actions mentioned in the Gospel (i) feeding the hungry, (ii) giving drink to the thirsty, (iii) clothing the naked, (iv) sheltering the homeless, (v) visiting those in prison, and (vi) taking care of the sick. And these are the works of mercy. 

Today, it is still to some extent these works of mercy, “Out of sight, out of mind”.




No comments: