Powered By Blogger

Friday 18 November 2011

Recollection for Seminarians

On 12th November, I conducted a half day recollection for four final year students who are preparing for Diaconate early next year. They are from the Missionaries of Mary Immaculate (MMI) congregation. The recollection took place in their religious house, which is about 15 minutes walking distance from my college.

With the seminarians

I chose the theme “Chosen to Serve” based on Acts 6: 1-6. The ministry of Deacons initiated from the institution of the seven men, among them was St Stephen (the first Christian Martyr) in order to assist the charitable work in the early Church.

I also touched on the role of Deacons in the Catholic Church and the importance of praying the Breviary daily. The Breviary is a liturgical book of the Catholic Church for everyday use by Bishops, priests and deacons. This liturgical book has become famous among the laity today.

In Malaysia, a majority of people are familiar in using this prayer book daily in their lives which contain hymns, the psalms, short reading, intercessions and prayers. Our priests also encourage their parishioners to this prayer of the Church before or after the weekday Masses. It is nice to hear that our people are praying ONE with the Church.

I began the recollection with the prayer of the day from the breviary and concluded with the Eucharistic celebration for them. This was followed by lunch.

This is my first outreach in giving recollection to a small group of seminarians. In Malaysia, we always have the Monthly Recollection for the Clergy on the third week of the month. Since I left Malaysia, I have not had the chance to attend any recollections but I do faithfully participate in the morning Eucharistic celebration and pray the Breviary daily on my own without fail.

For those who are not familiar with the Church’s Liturgy of the Hours (breviary), the Psalms in the Bible is a beautiful tool to cultivate the habit of praying daily.

1 comment:

evelyn said...

Very interesting mamms...now u too becoming like me....heheh-TEACHERLAH!


Proud of u mamms!

eve