Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 8 November 2011

I Am a Priest Today Because of Him


On Monday, 7th of November, I received numerous phone calls, text messages and emails from Malaysia to inform me about the demise of Rev Fr Leonard John, who was suffering from cancer.

I felt so sad after hearing the news of his passing. I recalled all the beautiful things that he had done in my life during his time as parish priest at the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes, Klang and as a formator in the seminary. He was the one who initiated my vocation to the priesthood.

In 1993, I shared with him my deep desire in wanting to become a priest. He was my parish priest, then. During my first meeting with him, he was straight to the point and told me this, “George, life outside is very much beautiful and you don’t waste your time to be a priest.” I left his office with heavy heart.

A few weeks later I met him again to express my irresistible feelings in wanting to become a priest. From the second meeting onwards he really motivated and encouraged me in many ways. I believe that his reason for being blunt with me during that first meeting was to test my sincerity.

However, for two years I was not accepted into the seminary due to my lack of proficiency in English and my lack of activity in Church at that time. After thinking carefully, I decided to resign from my job and to concentrate fully on improving my English. When Fr Leonard heard of my decision, he offered me a part time job at the parish office. He also advised me to take up English lessons in the morning and work in the parish office in the afternoons. For a year I was doing what he had instructed me and during this time he directed me in my search of the priestly vocation.

After two years of being rejected, I was finally accepted for admission into College General, Penang in 1995 to do my initiation year. However at that time I felt that I was still not ready and shared my apprehensions with Fr Leonard. With his spiritual direction and guidance I finally took up the challenge to join the seminary. Fr Leonard was my Spiritual Director before I joined the seminary and during my Theology years, he became by Dogma lecturer and formator. I continued to choose him as my Spiritual Director as I felt that he truly understood me.

If today I am a priest and have been one for the past 8 years, it is because of Fr Leonard’s initiation, motivation and his words of wisdom. One of Fr Leonard’s words of advice that remains with me until today is when he said, “You are not an intelligent man, but you have common sense and that will make you a good priest.” Fr Leonard was truly my mentor till the end.

At the same time, Fr Leonard had a great sense of humour. During our seminar days, we seminarians conducted a little survey on our priests who had a sense of humour and Fr Leonard topped the list. His jokes were original and spontaneous. A man of simple heart, he loved his parishioners immensely.

After hearing at the news of his death I decided to write this little note to express my gratitude to him and deep sorrow in his passing. Even though I am far away and unable to attend his funeral, my prayers are with him.

4 comments:

mitchell said...

wonderful priest, he was here at the Visitation back in the late 80s' and early 90'....as you said he had a great sence of humour..
May His Soul Rest In Peace...

Raju Felix Crasta said...

May His Soul Rest in Peace

mitchell said...

Was at his wake last nite, very big crowd and the eucharist was celebrated by main celebrant Fr Stanislas and concelebrated by 4 other priests...Fr Leonard's brother from Aust gave a very wonderful eulogy...esp about the funny side of the late Fr Leonard, his love for Volkswagen Beetle cars, playing the guitar, Fr Justus also said a few words as both were ordained to the deaconship together and were friends for almost 30 yrs.
His last journey begins this morning at 10am...He maybe with the Father in heaven but his love and humour will always be in our hearts. RIP Rev Fr Leonard John...truly a shepherd of the flock!!

AnnaThong said...

May his soul rest in peace.
i cant believe he said that to you: you are not an intelligent man, but you have common sense & that will make you a good priest...
hahaha! i dont agree with him. not at all! Intelligence nor common sense wont make one a good priest... It's the love, humility, compassion & passion that one has make him a good & great servant of God! what do you say, Fr Jorge??