Powered By Blogger

Saturday 9 February 2019

TO LIVE A LIFE OF LOVE

Earlier this month, the Deeper Marriage Weekend (DMW) program was held at the Church of St Francis of Asissi (SFA) in Cheras, Kuala Lumpur. It was a training weekend program for Tamil-speaking priests and married couples, which started on Sunday, 3 February and ended on Tuesday, 5 February 2019. There were altogether four married couples and three priests attended this DMW. The DMW training program was presented by Rev Fr Rupert Arul Valan, and Joseph and Shanti, a married couple from India. 

I was approached by Santiago and Maria (ME – Marriage Encounter Team of Selangor/Kuala Lumpur) to participate in this Deeper Marriage Weekend program so that I would be in the presenting Marriage Encounter Weekend Team, in the future. Initially, I was reluctant to join, but after giving it much thought, I decided to participate. When I went for this DMW program, I didn't expect anything much to come of it, but by the end of the weekend, I felt no regrets in attending it. I was surprised at my own interest in this DMW program. In fact, when the program was over, I spent the whole of the following day sitting with Fr Rupert and started writing my talks.

I thank the ME Team for providing this unique opportunity to discover and rediscover my priestly identity and my life. This Deeper Marriage Weekend program gave me a greater understanding of the Sacrament of the Priesthood and the joy of living the Sacrament daily. This 3-day program helped me to re-examine my priestly life and my behaviour patterns as well. It has given me a conviction to remain faithful in the priesthood and to re-live a renewed commitment. 

Last year, I went for a 5-day retreat at Seven Fountains in Chiang Mai, Thailand as a thanksgiving celebration to mark 15 years of my priesthood. This year on my 16th Priesthood Anniversary, the DMW program was an invitation for me to return, re-evaluate and to re-live my ordination theme, “To Live a Life of Love” (2Jn6). 

This DMW program was more relaxing for me as I was looking into the quality of my priestly life. It wasn't a deeper theological study program or formation on marriage and priesthood. It was more on understanding of myself, my relationship, sharing of feelings and personal experiences. At the end of the DMW, I realised that I have benefitted a lot. As I treasure the gift of my priestly vocation, my only prayer right now is, “Lord, receive my entire being in Your love and make me like you, consecrate me to live a life of love.”

To all married couples, I strongly encourage you to register for Marriage Encounter (ME) weekends, which will provide an opportunity for you to look deeply into your relationship with your spouse and with God, and to enhance your family life. You will learn a technique of loving communication between husband and wife, which you can use for the rest of your lives. It is a weekend that you will spend together, sharing your feelings, hopes and dreams. So please consider it!

World Marriage Day will be celebrated worldwide on Sunday, 10 February 2019 but in our parish we will celebrate on Sunday, 17 February 2019 by our Parish Family Life. They will organise few activities, slide presentations and fellowship at Dewan Monsignor Anthony Thomas,after the Sunday 9am Mass. During the Mass, we will invite all married couples to come forward and renew their promises in the eyes of Church. Let’s join the celebration and pray that married couples will remain in their marriage and fall in love with each other all over again.





No comments: