Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 21 February 2012

Back in Penang Seminary

I have not updated my blog for a long period of time and finally today I have decided to resume my postings once again. My enthusiasm in updating my blog was waning gradually due to certain circumstances. I was not sure where to begin my story line now. Let me take a deep breath! I reached Malaysia on 23rd Dec, 2011. I could not return to India after my Christmas and New Year break due to some issues with my visa and now if everything goes well I pray and hope that I can enter India again in June this year.

At the moment I am staying at College General Seminary in Penang. I have been here since 4th January, 2012 to do my studies through distance learning. I have not discontinued my studies just because I could not return to India. My Dean of Studies has allowed me to do my assignments and send them via internet to the respective lecturers in JDV Pune, India. I was given 3 assignments on Religious Pluralism; Hermeneutics in the Old Testaments; Guided Paper on Christian Anthropology. Thank God I have completed 2 papers within these past 5 weeks and I have one more paper on Christian Anthropology which I need to be complete by end of March. After that the JDV College in Pune will be closed for summer break. During the month of April and June, I shall continue to stay here in the Penang seminary and start doing my research on my final paper (Dissertation). When I return to India for my 3rd semester I shall also take extra efforts to do my final paper and return before Christmas for good. “Insha Allah! It is just a plan that I have in my mind right now.

Ever since I returned from India I felt a little upset for not returning to my college for studies on time. Initially I could not accept the fact that my visa problem is causing me to stay back in Malaysia till June. Then I realised that it is not my will but His will. Thank God, my studies were not interrupted. I must be grateful to my college dean and my lecturers for allowing me to do the distance learning. I am also grateful to the Rector of the College General, (Penang Seminary), Fr Gerard Theraviam and Archbishop Murphy Pakiam for permitting me to stay here in the seminary. During the day, I spend time in the library doing my studies and during the weekends I help out by celebrating Masses in the nearby parishes in the Penang Island and other places as well.

Since I came to the seminary in January, Fr Gerard welcomed me warmly and I was staying alone in the seminary because the students were on their semester break till 14th February. I occupied my time with my studies and assignments. Penang Island is not a new place for me. I stayed here for eight years for my priestly formation (1995 – 2002). Many lecturers and formators have formed my life in this seminary. This college has a lot of sentimental values for me. This seminary and Penang Island have also taught me what is life all about and I have found meaning in my life here. During my seminary days I loved reading spiritual and psychological books. One of the books that really touched my life during my early formation was “Man Search for Meaning” written by Victor Frankl, a psychologist. It was recommended by the late Fr Francis Regis and it was the last book that I found in the bookstore in Penang Island.

Life is moving as usual. The seminarians are now back from their break and I am following their programmes such as rising, attending morning and evening prayers, studies, games, manual labour and other activities. I hope that my daily routine will also serve as an example to our future priests.

4 comments:

Raju Felix Crasta said...

dear george, we miss you a lot. every time i pass through the corridor, i remember you and your room.

i am happy that you are doing your assignments.

second years are busy in their defense papers.

Julians Marlan Joshi said...

Hi George, nice to have heard from you, Hope you are fine and enjoying life. Take care

mitchell said...

Hi Fr, miss you the last time when you were in transit back to Kg...happy to note you are well and still pursuing your studies..Hope to meet up for Koay Teow before you go back.
God Bless!!

Anna thong said...

Hi Fr George,
Yes, our plans r not God's plans. His way is not our ways, his thot is far above us... But 1thg 4sure: He knows best & he will do the Best 4us.
He already planned up evrythg 4u, juz let Him take charge, v juz surrender & follow, nxt v will realized evrythg will work out well @ fine! ( this my personal experience )
So happy u r back, disappointed tht v cudn't meet up 4 Christmas last yr... Anyway, thanks 4keeping in touch, v will meet later wen u r free.
So happy 4u tht u r doing fine. So proud of u too tht u hv completed 2 assignments on ur own despite studying thru Internet. Keep up the good spirit! Bless u
Love, AnnaThong